I’m not going to pretend I’m never shiny — my pride gets in front of my work at times and my ego gets ahead of my coworkers — which is why I have to write about this stuff. It’s a reminder to myself as much as anyone else.
The fact you can realize this about yourself makes it that much less likely that you won’t be shiny. Here’s a suggestion to help:
Write a negative manifesto
Just like you want to focus on who you want to be, it also helps to draw lines on who you refuse to be. Something like this
- “I will not take credit I don’t deserve.”
- “I will not gossip about my co-workers.”
- “I will not embarrass my boss in front of everyone when she is wrong”
- “I will not delay any process because of my dislike for a person involved”
- “I will not pretend my life is more important than anyone else’s”
- “I will not pretend I am write just to save face.”
Change in life comes from 1 of 2 places — a great amount of pleasure or a great amount of pain.
Either focus on what you WANT to be until you can’t bear to be anything else, or do it the other way around.
Stay Focused. Stay Balanced. Learn, and most importantly: